Help for Government Workers

Community Partners band together to provide immediate assistance to Government workers in need

HRDC and its community partners have joined forces to provide local assistance to furloughed government employees.  Here are some of the programs and services that are available to furloughed workers and others in need. 


  1. Energy Share is a program that helps with energy bill assistance.  If you are having difficulty paying your energy bill, HRDC and Energy Share can help. Energy Share is a private nonprofit organization.  Its purpose is to help Montanans faced with an energy emergency make their utility payment.  It is a onetime loan program. You can secure an online application at the energy share website or through your district HRDC office.   Energy Share contracts with all 12 HRDC districts in the state of Montana.  You can contact any HRDC office or call 406-247-4700
  2. If you need assistance with mortgage or have rental issues, HRDC’s Home Center can help you contact your mortgage company or Landlord to negotiate deferred payment plans and even assist with mediation issues should the situation require it.  Call 406-206-2717
  3. HRDC’s VITA program can prepare your taxes at no cost if you made less than $55,000.  

HRDC is a community action agency and is located at 7 N. 31st Street, Billings, MT 59103.  For additional information, visit our website at, or call 406-247-4700. 

  1. Family service can provide substantial food boxes that are put together based upon family size. Food boxes are from 90-160 lbs. and include protein (beef, chicken, pork, possibly fish), canned goods, eggs, milk, yogurt, fresh produce and bread and other foods that may be on hand.  Diapers, wipes, and some formula are also available. 
  2. Family Service may be able to assist with a small portion in rental assistance based on availability of funds.  They also offers low cost or no cost clothing.  They are located at 1824 1st Ave. N, Billings, MT. 59106.  Visit their website at, or call (406) 259-2269. 
  3. The Salvation Army can assist Federal employees who live in Yellowstone County with electric bills, gasoline, food, and rent.  To qualify, Federal employees must provide a current Federal ID, furlough letter, shut-off notice (if applying for assistance with electric bill), and current driver license, car insurance and registration if applying for gasoline assistance.  Those needing assistance can come to 2100 6th Avenue North during walk-in hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday from 1pm-3:30pm. 406-245-4659
  4. RiverStone Health Clinic – Billings accepts most insurance plans and provides clinic services to anyone in need, regardless of their insurance status or ability to pay. Riverstone offers care for the whole family. Call 406-247-3333
  5. RiverStone Health Medication Assistance Program provides medication assistance for low-income or uninsured patients who cannot afford their medications. The assistance comes through applications to pharmaceutical companies for free or reduced-cost prescription medications. This is not an immediate or emergency assistance service. 123 South 27th Street, Billings, MT 59101, Phone: 406.247.3387  
  6. RiverStone Health Dental Clinic – The dental team works with patients regardless of insurance coverage to provide check-ups, cleanings, sealants, x-rays, fillings and minor surgeries. A sliding fee scale, provides a discount based on your family size and income. Located at 123 South 27th Street, Billings, MT 59101, Phone: 406.247.3333


  1. COMMUNITY FOOD RESOURCES, School Meal Resources, BackPack Meals and Teen Pantry Programs, Billings Public Schools.  Contact Ginny Mermel,


Facebook :   Send Ginny a Private message through this Facebook page if you need to request food be sent home with your child. Download a Free or Reduced School Meal Application:


For additional information, call the numbers below the community provider.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *